“People who are happy don’t notice if it’s winter or summer.” ~ Anton Chekhov
Clearly, Anton was Australian. However, if I put aside my jealousy of this tanned philosopher long enough to wrap my scarf a notch tighter against the wind and sleet nature has thrown down as a cruel April Fool’s Day joke, I understand his meaning.
Not unlike the Buddhist teachings to find happiness from within, I believe the author is saying that those who are truly happy are not affected by the external storms of life. By this definition, I have never been happy; but then I’m not living in Australia either. (which is an external aspect of my life…yes I see the vicious circle).
Today I dusted off the camera that travels everywhere with me rarely seeing the light of day and considerably weakened my clicker finger.
My goal was to find something funny, something boring, something beautiful, and something weird, but not to overlook or rule out anything; to simply be more aware of my surroundings. The winners in each category were:
- Funny runner up – a threesome of Canadian geese
- Funny winner -my son pulling a face
- Boring runner up – two parking meters
- Boring winner – garbage stuck in a fence
- Beautiful – dead heat between a steaming mug of chai tea and a well built rear end
- Weird runner up – three teddy bears hanging in a tree on a rural road
- Weird winner – a pile of human feces neatly puddled between two abandoned socks on the park boardwalk
Perhaps weird is not quite the right adjective but despite the revulsion, I laughed. There isn’t really much else to do when faced with poop in park while trying to find beauty. It was a perfect juxtaposition – something every writer searches for in their stories and here I was having it handed to me on a silver platter in reality.
No worries, mate. I’m having a great day!
So…it has come to this:
If I can find a reason to smile at poop in the park, there might be hope for me yet.
“Happiness is where we find it, but rarely where we seek it.” ~ J. Petit Senn
Rating: Picture Day (7 out of 10)
- Itchy Feet – 3 out of 5 (would have been a 4 if hadn’t been so tired from a girl’s night out)
- Twitch – Forgot to look
- Happy Hour – 4 out of 5 (the owner of the rear end was attached to an equally well designed face that was smiling at me)
What the heck does all that mean, you ask? Click here to get to the ‘Happiness Is…?’ page. You’ll find out why I’m doing this and if you scroll towards bottom of the page you can read about the rating system.
Tomorrow: Pros & Cons Lists. Use the calendar to view my happiness tasks for each day along with a brief description of the task and why I chose it.
- Awesome AutoCorrect Prank for April Fools Day (slightlyinsightful.com)