“Happiness is an unexpected hug.” ~Author Unknown
Top ten reasons I should be hugged (in no particular order)
- I love lists and this is one
- It’s free
- It makes me smile
- It makes you smile
- I’m the perfect hugging height
- I’m super cute
- No carbs
- We might co-invent a new hug and name it George
- You’ll stay in my good books for when I write my memoir
- Why the heck not???
- Who’s counting anyway? – To prevent me from starting my own free hug movement
- Bonus : I have the flu (that one could go either way…)
We are drawn to happy people because we want to catch happiness from them…like we’d catch a cold.
My son loves hugs. He has insisted on morning hugs for years. Last year he started inventing hugs. His first (and one of my favs) is the hook hug.
Both hugger and huggee stand facing one another with straight arms extended in front of them and clasping their own hands. Without unclasping hands, they hook their arms over each other’s heads and end up in a hug.
About once a week, he comes up with a new one:
- sashe hug – hold hands and one person twirls the other into a hug
- pogo stick hug – bounce toward each other and continue bouncing as you hug
- t-rex hug – arms held in tight to your sides and fluttering pats on the back as you hug
- spin hug – stand apart and then spin toward each other. However you end up bumping into each other is how you hug
- no arm hug – just use your body and your head
My task for the day was to invent a hug and teach it to someone. I didn’t. I did do something else that is rumored to make people happy and I had an unexpectedly fabulous day.
I talked about hugs with people and thought about it in my head, but in the end I never actually did it as the flu I’d been fencing with all weekend and thinking I was winning switched to it’s left hand. All flu’s are left-handed. I had to admit defeat.
Maybe that is what happiness is…knowing there are people who will hug you even when they might catch something other than happiness from you.
Update: Nobody hugged me on hug day but my family offered up quite a few the next day when I saw them. Of course they’ve all had this flu and are most likely the reason I am sick in the first place so maybe that is what love is…I hugged them back anyway.
Here is a bonus list I stole from facebook that made me smile…
10 facts about you…
1. You are reading this right now
2. You are realizing this is a stupid fact
4. You didn’t notice I skipped three
5. You’re checking now
6. You’re smiling
7. You’re still reading this even though it’s stupid
9. You didn’t realize I skipped eight
10. You’re checking again and smiling that you fell for it again
11. You’re enjoying this
12. You’re working out if there are 10 or 12 facts here
So…it has come to this !
Mwahahahaha…I’ll never tell what I actually did to make myself happy today. This secret may cause annoyance to some, but the mystery makes me happy.
Rating: Invent a hug day (7 out of 10)
- Itchy feet – 4 out of 5 (was truly looking forward to this one, but somewhat unsure about my hug inventing abilities)
- Twitch – yahuh
- Happy hour – 3 out of 5 (great day…sick sick sick does not help happy hour though)
What the heck does all that mean, you ask? Click here to get to the ‘Happiness Is…?’ page. You’ll find out why I’m doing this and if you scroll towards bottom of the page you can read about the rating system.
Tomorrow: Grow something. Use the calendar to view my happiness tasks for each day along with a brief description of the task and why I chose it.