“Of all forms of caution, caution in love is perhaps the most fatal to true happiness.” – Bertrand Russell
Flirting is easy when:
- You are certain the person you are flirting with already knows how great you are
- You have no real intentions and are just playing around
- You haven’t given it a real whirl in about 15 years
- You are facing real rejection that you might actually care about
- Drink alcohol (I learned this one from men who cannot express a desire to know you beyond the current conversation without a drink or 5)
- Make eye contact and hold it while smiling, play with your hair, make physical contact with the upper part of a man’s arm, mimic the other person’s speech patterns and lick your lips. (I’m not kidding – studies have shown…)
- Walked around after a 5km obstacle race in a park full of hundreds of sweaty men while giving full on looks and playing with my hair. Didn’t make physical contact with an arm or speak to anyone other than being bumped into a guy, causing him to spill his water cup, and apologizing for being pushed. Results – nada
- Walked past the line of cute firemen hosing muddy racers off for donation without a glance in their direction. Results – Whoops and hollers and a free ‘hosing’. Some good looks were thrown around and I ended up soaking wet.
- Sat down next to two attractive men at the bar of a restaurant and asked what they were eating because it looked great and I couldn’t decide what to order. Results – Being fed sushi by one of the cute men and promising to return and share my food when my order arrived.
- Made good on the promise and tried out the arm touching, speech mimicry trick. Results – nada.
- Chickened out on approaching the insanely toned beach dude because, well, what would I say besides, “ble da hoo fuor ki” or some other nonsense that fell out when my mouth stopped working properly and drool started trickling down my chin. My friends had some great openers I could have tried to wrap my tongue around, but… Results – a bit of regret. I did throw him my best look but it’s possible he missed it as he had his back turned and was a few hundred feet away.
- Walked past the restaurant with the two attractive men a few hours, and a few drinks on their part later, and ignored them. Results – two men with liquid courage who chased us down, told us we were fantastic, offered to take us snow shoeing, and gave us their phone numbers.
- Chatted casually, (yes I was mimicking), with the sales guy at the equipment store while buying the gear to set up a slack line (did I mention the beach dude was slack lining?). Results – handing him my business card and telling him to call me as I was dragged out of the store by friends who needed to get to the airport on time, then being checked out by him and the 5 friends he dragged to look out the door at us.
- I have no idea what I’m doing
- Nobody else does either
So…it has come to this !
When you order the flirting elixir pictured above, it comes in a special glass. In order to drink from this glass you must give up one of your shoes which is then hung in a basket near the ceiling. When you return the glass, your shoe is returned. There must be a cinderella reference in there somewhere.
Rating: Flirting day (7 out of 10)
- Itchy feet – 3 out of 5 (terrified)
- Twitch – does a twitch make you unique or freakish?
- Happy hour – 4 out of 5 (I discovered two new sports – slack lining and flirting – unfortunately the only guy I was really attracted to I didn’t spar with)
What the heck does all that mean, you ask? Read Itchy Feet Explained.
Tomorrow: Tea day. Use the calendar to view my happiness tasks for each day along with a brief description of the task and why I chose it.
- Flirting is Not An Art Form (uflifestyle.com)
- 6 Surprising Ways to Flirt (nolagirlsocial.wordpress.com)