“Happiness always looks small while you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and you learn at once how big and precious it is.” – Maxim Gorky
- early morning brick eyelids and a hair-trigger snooze finger
- rush kids out of bed and into buses, lamenting my last-minute awareness of their clothing choices
- throw everything I’ll need for the day into the car (which needs cleaning again) and wonder at how I can be so punctually 5 minutes behind all the time
- get onto the highway, organizing my first appointment in my head as I drive, and realize what I’ve forgotten
- feel the cold grip of panic as I try to sort out whether to go back and be really late or stay the course and deal with the fallout of being ill prepared
- muddle through the day
- get home, cook supper, head out for last appointment of the day wishing I was better at grade 6 math and could spend more time helping the grade six-er understand it
- get home, start laundry, remain calm while tucking in kidlets who have not done their chores, fall into bed
- repeat 8 hours later
Stress and happiness are polar opposites. There are ways to swing the day into the happiness end of the spectrum and today I tried the two finger technique. Supposedly, pressing two fingers to the base of your throat at times of stress will relieve said stress.
I don’t know that the self-inflicted acupressure helped or if the act of slowing down long enough to breathe and perform the task helped either. To be honest, it just made me another 5 minutes late.
All in all it was a spectacularly dull happiness task.
So…it has come to this !
All signs point to ‘don’t worry, be happy’, but I’m too rushed to stop and read them.
Time explore stress management vs stress relief.
Rating: Stress relief day (4 out of 10)
- Itchy feet – 2 out of 5 (I may have had a bad attitude going into this one)
- Twitch – two thumbs up
- Happy hour – 2 out of 5 (met my expectations)
What the heck does all that mean, you ask? Read Itchy Feet Explained.
Tomorrow: Complete a nagging task. Use the calendar to view my happiness tasks for each day along with a brief description of the task and why I chose it.
- Breathing Meditation & 3 aromatherapy oils for stress relief (nyrvabadette.com)
- 20-Something Women Are Awesome at Being Totally Stressed Out (jezebel.com)
- Happy Birthday, Maxim Gorky!!! (kidzrockinc.co)